Superfoods are a special category of foods found in nature; by definition they are calorie sparse and nutrient dense.
They are superior sources of anti-oxidants and essential nutrients (nutrients we need but cannot make ourselves) powerful enough to help you lower your cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer, and, for an added bonus, put you in a better mood.
Superfood can be divided into 5 categories:
Green Superfoods: wheat grass, barley grass, wild blue-green algae, spirulina, chlorella and green leafy vegetables
– highest concentrations of easily digestible nutrients, fat burning compounds, vitamins and minerals to protect and heal the body.
Fruit and Nut Superfoods: goji berries, raw cacao, maca, acai berries, coconuts, coconut oil, noni
– high in anti-oxidants that fight free radicals in the body.
Bee Superfoods: royal Jelly, bee pollen, propolis
– powerhouse of nutrients containing every nutrient necessary to support life.
Seaweed Superfoods: nori, kelp, dulse, arame, wakame, kombu
– most nutritionally dense plants on the planet; they can contain up to 10 times more calcium than milk and eight times as much as beef.
Herb Superfoods: nettle, aloe vera, echinacea, ginseng
– as medicine are essentially body balancers that work with the body functions so that it can heal and regulate itself.