According to the Physician Committee for Responsible Medicine, keeping your bones strong depends more on preventing the loss of calcium from your body than on boosting your calcium intake.
A number of factors affect calcium loss from the body:
- Diets that are high in protein cause more calcium to be lost through the urine.
- Protein from animal products is much more likely to cause calcium loss than protein from plant foods.
- Diets high in sodium increase calcium losses in the urine.
- Caffeine increases the rate at which calcium is lost through urine.
- Smoking increases the loss of calcium from the body.
A number of factors increase bone building in the body:
- Exercise is one of the most important factors in maintaining bone health.
- Exposure to sunlight allows the body to make the bone-building hormone vitamin D.
- Eating a plentiful amount of fruits and vegetables.
- Eating an alkaline diet avoiding acidic foods.
- Consuming calcium from plant-based sources, especially green vegetables and beans, provides one of the building blocks for bone building. Here you are some other examples:
Wanna read more? Check this article from Happy Happy Vegan.